As GPP prepares to open our new custom spray drying plant in Yankton, South Dakota, stainless steel is our top choice to allow us to meet the high safety standards, quality, and reliability our company strives for each day. Our choice of using all stainless steel equipment in both our facilities in Yankton and Luverne, allows us to formulate high quality finished product, liquid blends, and dry blends.
We all know the benefits to using stainless steel cookware – its longevity, durability, and it can easily cleaned. The same holds true for GPP and using stainless steel equipment in our state-of-art facilities, but in a more complex manner.
5 benefits to using stainless steel equipment:
- Heat Resistant Stainless steel equipment can be utilized for drying materials at a very high temperatures. They can be used at temperatures up to about 2000 degrees Fahrenheit with good resistance to corrosion and oxidation. This allows us to truly meet the needs of each of our customers and their specific spray drying orders.
- Hygienic & Cleanable The ability to easily and quickly clean equipment is a high priority for us at GPP. We pride ourselves on high quality products and services. Stainless steels can withstand frequent and heavy washings. This has allowed us to continually meet and exceed all feed and feed safety certifications and audits set forth through our various certifying bodies.
- Durability Stainless steel does not dent, crack, break, or pit easily. This prevents dirt and bacteria from forming on our equipment. It can withstand abrasive materials & chemicals.
- Longevity Because of its resistance to corrosion and rust, stainless steel equipment is known for its long-lasting functionality. At GPP, we strive to service our customers for years to come.
- Sustainability According to the Specialty Steel Industry of North America, Stainless steel is one of the most sustainable material choices available. “The most environmentally friendly materials are corrosion resistant and durable, have high-recycled content and recapture rates, provide long service life and reduce resource use. Stainless steel provides all of these benefits.” (www.ssina.com).
For more information on our products & services, please visit www.gpp-co.com.
Why Traceability Matters
Our commitment to accuracy can make a big difference
Accurate traceability of ingredients allows pet food manufacturers to solve biosecurity problems more quickly and control health concerns about pet food safety, said Ken Wilson, PhD, head of technical services at Simmons Feed Ingredients, at Petfood Forum 2016. For example, in 2007, tracing melamine-comtaminated pet food led FDA to an ingredient supplier in China who was adulterating his products.
Part 2 – THE ANIMAL FEED Industry’s 2030 VISION
Our reaction to the report
This past year, the EU Association of Specialty Feed Ingredients and their Mixtures (FEFANA) launched its vision of the feed industry in 2030. In a six part series, we will breakdown what was in the report. We will comment on how we see Great Plains Processing (GPP) will fit into the prediction 18 years from now. As an expanding custom toll spray drying company with a diversified customer base both geographically and by species, GPP looks forward to serve our customers as best we can now and in the future. For more information on our expansion project and additional information about GPP – click here.
What do we do?
A lot of people ask, so we’ll (try to) explain
Many ask what exactly we do at Great Plains Processing. It’s a fair question as manufacturing in the agriculture world can be a confusing and convoluted topic, especially when you’re relatively unknown. We’ve made a list of what we’ve done at GPP at our Luverne facility. The list below most likely is missing something, but when it’s all said and done, if its been spray dried, we’ve either done it or can do it better.
- Zinc methionine
- Hydrolyzed Proteins
- Milk powders
- Soy products
- Organic trace minerals
- Protein products
- Yeast products
- Specialty blends
- Powder premixes
- Hydrolyzed proteins
- Soil amendment products
- Pelleting aids
- Molasses products
Great Plains Processing is now GMP+ Certified
GPP is now FAMI-QS, International Safe Feed Safe Food and Identity Preserved Certified.
What is GMP+?
GMP stands for Good Manufacturing Practices. In 1992 the current GMP+ Feed Certification scheme started out with this. Afterwards, it developed into a full-fledged certification scheme by integrating ISO quality management requirements, HACCP and other elements. The + stands for the integration of HACCP: â€˜Hazards Analysis and Critical Control Points. The foundation of the GMP+ systematic is partly determined by continuous improvement according to the principle of the Deming circle. Plan, Do, Check, Act: write down what I’m doing, do what I’ve written down and providing proof that I effectively did it.
The GMP+ Feed Certification scheme does not only define conditions relating to production facilities of feed, but also for storage, transport, staff, procedures, documentation etc. Together with her partners, GMP+ international transparently defines clear conditions, so that feed safety and sustainability are guaranteed and certification bodies can conduct independent audits. GMP+ certified companies are supported with useful and practical information, such as various databases, newsletters, Q&A lists, courses and seminars. With over 13,400 participating companies in more than 70 countries, GMP+ International is a leading global player in the market of feed safety assurance certification. A GMP+ certificate provides an additional qualitative guarantee for every entrepreneur dealing with the international feed industry. A quality mark of GMP+ International tells you, the entrepreneur, that participating companies from the international food chain guarantee reliability, quality, sustainability and safety. That means that they meet all local and international statutory standards in the feed industry. Want to know about the other advantages of a GMP+ certificate? Click here. (SOURCE: https://www.gmpplus.org)
What does it mean for Great Plains Processing?
Along with FAMI-QS, ISFSF, and IP certifications, GMP+ aligns with our vision to manufacture safe, high quality ingredients for our customers and end users. The evolving domestic and international landscape demands that feed products and ingredients are manufactured to the highest standards. We are very excited to add GMP+ to our portfolio as we will always continue to be quality driven.